That’s a hefty order. I recently conducted in-depth interviews with CNOs from across the country. During the interviews, the majority said that weak leadership at the department level is a major part of the problem. Most said that it stems from promoting nurses from the bedside to leadership without adequate leadership development. Similarly, this is the discussion we’ve been having in healthcare for decades and yet, it keeps happening.
Here are just a few skills leaders should develop to engage and energize employees:
- Re-recruit your top performers with stay interviews
- Give meaningful recognition
- Show an interest in team members beyond their job duties
- Be visible and present daily – In addition to rounding, make yourself readily available
- Set clear expectations and hold everyone to them
An emerging nurse leader needs support and coaching to develop into a leader nobody wants to leave. This course shows you how.Tags: Leadership, leadership practices