Categories

Training Alone Won’t Guarantee a Great Patient Experience

Posted by Kristin Baird on May 14th, 2013 • 1 Comment »

What if a 60 – 90-minute staff training session could ensure a great patient experience? The truth is that training is only about 25 percent of what needs to happen to drive a consistently positive patient experience. The other 75 percent is driven by leaders setting clear expectations (standards) and then coaching and providing regular feedback and recognition, yet many healthcare leaders who contact us for training support assume that the one-time training session will fix all their service problems.

I’m not saying that training isn’t important. It is. In addition to delivering essential information, providing training sends a message that the topic is important enough for leaders to invest the time and money into it.

If you want to ensure a consistently positive patient experience, make sure you offer training in context of clearly defined standards, regular coaching, and ongoing feedback from leaders. When all those elements are in place, you stand a much greater chance of getting everyone on the same page. One training session shouldn’t be the end of leader involvement or responsibility for the patient experience. It’s just the beginning.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Baird Consulting

One Response to “Training Alone Won’t Guarantee a Great Patient Experience”

  1. Excellent article. Patient experience has huge potential to move services forward working in partnership with health professionals to enable a better result to all those involved in health, from patient carer to health professional.


Leave a Reply

Click here for eNewsletter Sign Up
Never miss a blog post!